Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Queen Mary - Long Beach, California

At the end of my 2007 trip to California my return flight was cancelled so I spent an extra day in Los Angeles and made a trip to Long Beach to visit the Queen Mary.  It was a yucky day but fortunately I was mostly indoors.  While I really enjoyed seeing the ship, it all seemed a little sad.  Many parts of the ship are still very beautiful and the amount of craftsmanship is overwhelming, but there seemed to be a sense of missed opportunity in it's current operation as a hotel, convention space, and attraction.  The facilities seemed underused and underappreciated.  Check out their web site.


Radio room.

Switchboard.








This was really cool.  Back when the ship sailed passengers could track the ships progress across the Atlantic on this giant mural (note the lines across the middle of the mural).

























No comments:

Post a Comment